Problem Solving and Decision Making
Essential Skills for the Modern Manager
Making decisions and solving problems are key skills needed by anyone in business. Some of the questions that confront managers and supervisors include:
- What is the real problem that I'm dealing with here?
- Am I looking at symptoms or causes?
- Do I have enough information to make an informed decision?
- What are the options?
- Should I take a logical or a creative approach?
- How can I unblock my thinking?
This self-study manual will equip you with the skills and knowledge to help you make and implement timely and effective decisions and to find solutions for problems and issues that may arise.
It can be read and used as a book, a self-learning tool or as a reference manual. It can be used by individuals to increase their skills and knowledge, by trainers to help produce training sessions or by managers for meetings and staff training. It is a mixture of information, practical exercises, self analysis questionnaires and case studies.
Below is a summary of this 142 page training manual:
- Practical tips
- Yes and...
- Are you creative?
- Seven Habits of Successful Creative Thinkers
Problem Solving as a Process
Aids to Decision Making
- Choosing the right Aid
- Tools and methods
- Six Thinking Hats
- Force Field Analysis
- Fishbone diagrams
Communicating Decision and Getting Buy In
- Active Listening
- Barriers to Listening
- Effective Questioning
- A framework for Shared Decisions
- Group Decision Making
- What is Delegation?
- What it is not
- Delegating where appropriate
- Guidelines for effective delegation
- What is Assertiveness?
- Assertive, Passive and Aggressive responses
- Dealing with Non Assertive responses